Saturday 14 January 2012

Random Recipe: New Year...New Book!


New Year...New Books and back to the regular schedule, finally! I've been horrible about blogging and reading and commenting and it is purely down to being so busy that I barely had a chance to sit down to the computer over the last month.  But...now that all our guests have departed and the house is almost back to normal I plan on re-discovering all my favourite blogs and challenges....starting with the always fabulous Dom over at Belleau Kitchen

This month's challenge...New Year...New Book.  It was easy to choose the book, seeing as Dan Lepard's Short & Sweet was the only cookbook I received this year.  The recipe...Bourbon and Pecan Brownies. 


This was a perfect Random Recipe for me...I rarely bake brownies...in fact I would never choose a brownie over cake or pastry...they are often dry or too claggy.  Saying that, when flipping through the book on Christmas morning the word Bourbon had definitely caught my eye! 

These brownies come together so easily (although I did have to use 3 bowls and a pot!) and take less than an hour from beginning to end. My budget doesn't stretch to buying a bottle of bourbon so I used some Canadian Rye Whisky and substituted walnuts for the pecans (had them left over from Christmas). The addition of the alcohol makes these brownies a real treat, they are boozy, chocolatey and gooey without being claggy in the centre.  

If you have Short & Sweet makes these for your next dinner party!   

9 comments:

  1. Wow, they look great! I'm really enjoying Short and Sweet - it's good to see so many other people are too. It's always good to discover a successful recipe for something you wouldn't otherwise have attempted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a fan of a good brownie. These look delicious. The whiskey makes them a little more adult. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these for Thanksgiving- a real treat, I too was really chuffed with how well they turned out. Isn't it just the best book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes, I love these... what a great book to have had to choose your RR from... any of them would have been excellent!... thanks for taking part xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look great! I've been hearing somuch about this book to be honest, i wouldn't expect anythign less than fabulous from it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of these - 'boozy, chocolatey and gooey' are three of my favourite words I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound delicious! Chocolate, and whisky of any variety are always a good combination. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of boozy brownies. These look great, a real gooey treat. GG

    ReplyDelete