Monday 20 December 2010

Linzer Sandwich Cookies...Christmas baking almost completed!

Well it is cold and snowy...that can only mean one thing...CHRISTMAS IS COMING!! My baking is coming along nicely, everything has been counted and divided up and now...I am just waiting for the time to put it all together into lovely little gift bags ready for gifting!!

This year I have made traditional family favourites, grandma's shortbread and cherry loaves...and tried my hand at some new recipes, gingerbread, panettone and most recently Linzer sandwich cookies.


I say Linzer sandwich cookies in the loosest sense of the word.  Traditionally Linzer cookies are made with ground almonds, but I've got nut allergies to cater for, so I used this recipe which is more of a sugar cookie-shortbread hybrid.  I filled the heart cookies with Tiptree Little Scarlet Strawberry Jam, and the flower cookies with Tiptree Lemon Curd...supporting my local jam makers!!  These cookies are crunchy, sweet and...if I do say so myself....oh so cute!

9 comments:

  1. I make a Linzer cookie also. Without the almonds more like a shortbread. Yours look delicious. They are always a big hit aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your linzer cookies look lovely - I have a set of cutters but haven't used them yet.
    Apart from my Christmas cake I haven't even started festive baking yet...no panic...no panic....aghhhhH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Beyond my Kitchen Window...thanks for your comments!! I'd like to try them with the almonds at some point, but this dough is sooo easy I doubt I'll make the switch! :) happy holidays x

    CC...oh wow! I don't know if I could be clam in that situation!! Holding my breath for you!!! :) happy holidays (i am sure you will sort everything out in true CC style!) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. your cookies are so adorable... very festive... those lucky friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dom...thanks!!! I've recently decided that mini is best! Smaller cookies and baked goods not only means you can make more out of one recipe but they are just so so so cute to look at!!! happy holidays!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your linzer cookies are perfection! I was never brave enough to try this; you really are turnig into a multi talented lady like you talked about in your intro. Wishing you a nice week.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rita...thanks for your lovely comment! this recipe was so easy...try it. the dough rolls out and cuts so nicely! have a fantastic week...christmas is almost here!!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are adorable - and the thing too about making little cookies is that you can eat twice as many of them! Have a lovely Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Kitchen Maid...little equals more to eat!!!!!!!! cept most of these are allocated to friends and fam...have to sneak a few in for myself! :) happy holidays x

    ReplyDelete