Thursday 30 December 2010

Turkey Pie

I think I love Christmas leftovers more than I love Christmas dinner...since Sunday morning I have been steadily grazing on whatever I can find in the fridge and, seriously, enjoying it more than I did when it was fresh out of the oven!

Tuesday evening (after stuffing our faces with hors d'oeuvres and nuts and cheese and chutney) I attacked what was left of the turkey, dividing it up to make 2 pies....leaving just enough for Wednesday lunch (and just enough stuffing, and just enough cranberry sauce).

Using my lovely new red shallow casserole (i love love love it) I sweated a whole heap of chopped leeks, then added some cooked, diced carrot and a couple of handfuls of frozen peas...then sprinkled 6 tablespoons (gak) of flour over the mixture....coated everything in the flour and added 500ml of stock, letting it thicken then a tub of cream, loads of chopped parsley and sage and thyme, and finally the turkey I had carefully divided up.  Into a pie dish (or 2)...pastry on top and then 1 in the freezer for next week and 1 in the fridge for Wednesday night.

8 comments:

  1. Leftovers are one of the best bits! Your pie looks delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love turkey leftover, the grazing and all the new meals that you can create.Your pie is awesome; smart girl to have one waiting in the freezer. Wishing you all the best in 2011.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that pie looks lovely. I think i will have ago at making one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky Lucky David - that's all i can say xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks seriously gorgeous! Love, love, love Christmas leftovers!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOw to be perfect....thanks!! it was soooo yummy!!! :)

    Rita...i'm starting a new job in january...commuting...so pie in the freezer means one meal is already made!!! :) x

    L.wilkes11...thanks for your comments! and welcome to my blog! nothing like a pie for a damp winter night!

    cherry...he is lucky...but so am i! :)

    seren...thanks!! it was almost too pretty to eat...but yummy on the inside as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you a great blogging new year.

    ReplyDelete