Friday 24 February 2012

East Anglia Staycation 2012

Settling back into the daily routine after our East Anglia staycation 2012...North Norfolk via Essex.  A fantastic trip to the beach and an excellent opportunity to catch up with Essex friends and family.  I have to say the hardest part of this trip was packing! Essex has a certain reputation here, an image...and the clothing that goes along with that image is at odds with beach walks, hiking, crabbing, lounging etc. Regardless of what we were wearing, we ate well! 


I have to say I really love seaside holidays.  There is something so fiercely British about them, especially in the winter, families braving the elements...knowing the promise of chips or ice cream awaits. I am no exception...there is something that makes hot hot chips covered in vinegar and salt that much more special when you are sitting on the pier trying to keep you hair out of your face (because of the wind).  Equally exciting is a small treat of salt watery seafood from the little stall...cockles, whelks, prawns, cray fish...shooing away seagulls while trying to gobble it all up.  


3 comments:

  1. I agree a wintery seaside holiday can be superb. As a matter of fact when I'm walking on the beach in august, with a freezing wind howling, I find myself wishing it was winter, then I could at least be dressed correctly!
    Sounds like you had a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime I am by the sea is a wonderful time. Winter, spring, summer or fall its all good if your seating by the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the seaside any time of the year! We were in Maine for 4 days earlier this week - it was wonderful! It sounds like you had a great time too!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete