Wednesday 4 July 2012

A Cake Break at lovecrumbs

My best friend from Canada is visiting this week.  For months we have been planning her visit, and for the last couple of months I have be dying to take her to lovecrumbs.  Yesterday morning, over tea and toast, we planned our day....walk up to Calton Hill and take in the views of the city (slightly overcast day, no rain...) and then make our way over to the Royal Mile en route to Cake.  We spent longer than anticipated on the hill (mostly since it was clear enough for a really good view of everything) so at Noon-ish I turned to her and said...It's Cake O'Clock...and cake is waaaaay over there (pointing).  We booted it over into old town and down into the Grassmarket...we'll come back and walk the mile afterwards I told her...up onto the West Port and into the lovely lovecrumbs.  


The wardrobe was stocked with cakes galore, scones, brownies and a huge crate of gigantic meringues.  My friend stood in awe...I know, I said.  


It was, as usual, hard to decide what to order...chocolate tarts, caramel tarts, rose and juniper (!!) cake...


chocolate cake...

In the end we chose lemon and rosemary and banana peanut butter.  I had the perfectly lovely lemongrass and marigold tea and my friend had a cappuccino made with soya milk.  We chatted about this and that and oooohhhhhed and awwwwwed over the cakes, and the atmosphere and the sweet little girl banging on the drum table.  I love taking people to lovecrumbs for their first visit...it really is like no other cake experience in Edinburgh.

Afterwards...with full cakey bellies...we walked the mile down to Holyrood to watch all the fancy dresses making their way into the Queen's Garden Party.  A wonderful day.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god, those cakes look incredible! Rose and juniper! Lemongrass and marigold tea! There are not enough exclamation marks in the world to express my envy. What an amazing spot. I think I've just fallen in love with the idea of a holiday to Edinburgh...

    ReplyDelete