Monday 23 May 2011

Belleau Kitchen Random Recipe Challenge:JUST Desserts


Dom over at Belleau Kitchen started the Random Recipe blogging challenge a few months ago and...one thing after another has stopped me from remembering to participate...but not this month!! This month's challenge?? desserts...or...in my case baked treats :) Sorry Dom...I didn't cheat...I just misinterpreted the 'desserts' as a sweet baked goods...honest.

So...and surprisingly...I don't actually have ANY cookbooks dedicated to desserts (although I do have my eye on Bake! by Rachel Allen and the Great British Book of Baking from last year's Great British Bake Off...hint...hint....ahem...birthday approaching...ahem...) so I closed my eyes and chose a book...

Peter Rabbit's Natural Foods Cookbook by Arnold Dobrin (complete with BP illustrations!) leading to the random selection of...

Tommy Brock and Mr. Tod's Wheat Germ Muffins


This recipe is so simple and comes together really quickly.  The muffins bake at a high temperature, 220C. I didn't take that into consideration when I was mixing up the batter, and had to WAIT for the oven to finish heating up!! SO next time...I'll make sure the oven is almost there before I get mixing.  Also, to make them a bit more interesting I added a handful of sultanas, and now that I think about it... I am going to try some grated pear and apple next time.

15 comments:

  1. I love them!... and I love the fact that there's a cookbook by Peter Rabbit! That's genius... thanks so much for taking part this month, the idea was any kind of desserts or sweets or cakes so these fabulous muffins more than qualify... I love the photo too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dom...thanks!!! phew! :) they are really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. who would have thought??!
    all those years of hanging on to good old Peter Rabbit --- that he would re-surface in 2011?? ...."everything old is new again!"....
    the muffins look quite tasty....great colour!

    mummi-ji in TO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew, I was worried for a minute, thought Dom might take you to international Random Recipe court! These do look interesting - who knew Peter Rabbit could cook as well as eat Mr McGregor's lettuces?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mummi-ji...well between these muffins and squirrel nutkins banana nut loaf we will be turning into little rabbits in no time! :)

    The Kitchen Maid...Phew..i know! i figured...better to come clean! :) ps the cook book is great...makes me feel like a little bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I baked a loaf cake so ine wasn't exactly sesert either. So glad your joining in, these look lovely and squirrel nutkins banana nut loaf sounds amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Astral...thank you for your comment! i was really happy to make these muffins...and they were yummy!! squirrel nutkin banana nutloaf is one of my faves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the muffins especially the name, who wouldn't love Tommy Brock and Mr. Tod's muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. two hippos..thank you so much for your comment! the muffins were super yummy and i can't wait to explore the rest of the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look so golden and yummy. Love the addition of sultanas - they make everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Victoria. The cape I'm knitting if from Ravelry, hope the link works. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/woodland-capelet Its very easy to knit and hopefully will look just like the pattern when I've finished! Look forward to seeing your cupcakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CC...they were really golden! mmm wheat germ!

    two hippos...thanks! I am just finishing up some socks and am looking for another "me" project!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that I need a copy of that cook book. The hours I spent reading Peter Rabbit to my kids, phew! These muffins look delicious and just right with a cup of coffee in the morning on the way to work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I want a copy of the book too! Adding apple and pear is such a great idea too. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. From Beyond...try to see if you can find a copy of the cookbook..it is fantastic...veggie and really fun!

    Please do not feed the animals...thank you so much for your comment! this cookbook is genius! brilliant for cooking with children...or just to relive childhood memories! :)

    ReplyDelete