Monday 16 January 2012

Caldo Verde...or cabbage soup with chorizo

Cabbage, Potato, Beans, Chili and Chorizo how does that sound on a cold afternoon? Perfect? Perfect! Yesterday when I looked outside I just knew it was cold out.  Hold up...rewind...that should read...yesterday when I looked outside (after I had wiped the rivers of condensation off my windows) I just new that it was cold outside.  Perfect! I thought...Cabbage stew it is! 

And so, while Davey baked his usual seeded loaf I got to making a huge pot of Caldo Verde, Portuguese green broth, using the recipe I spied in January's edition of delicious magazine (no link on website, sorry).  Slices of Chorizo are fried with onions and garlic and a green chili, and then simmered with chunks of potato until just cooked.  In goes slices of winter cabbage and a tin of haricot beans and that is all.  Simple, rustic and perfect for a cold Sunday afternoon.  


I am not sure why the chorizo went a bit anaemic looking...but the flavours were certainly there! 

3 comments:

  1. Ooh divine! I made a pork belly stew with chorizo last night so i have that wonderful spicy taste in my mind now!! Love cabbage too. Great soup x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect to me! I could really use a bowl of that delicious and hearty soup right now in this frosty weather. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is indeed PERFECT! LOVE the combination of ingredients....perfect winter fare.
    My blog has moved by the way...from blogger to Wordpress here:
    http://www.lavenderandlovage.com

    ReplyDelete