Thursday 20 October 2011

Belleau Kitchen Pumpkin Bread to bring me back to baking...

When I saw Dom's post for pumpkin cluster bread last week I knew that I was finally going to get back into bread making.  For weeks...no months...I have been saying "I really should bake some bread" blah, blah, blah...and finally, with some time off and some fantastic inspiration I settled into making some pretty spectacular bread. 


Making this bread reminded me why I should be making my own bread...why it is such a fantastic skill and experience.  Whenever I make bread...I doubt myself. I get this sinking feeling in my stomach for the first 20 mins when the dough is rising...and then, after an hour when it has doubled in size (if it has doubled) I am in awe of the magic, of the rise, of myself.  

I substituted butternut squash for pumpkin and used Waitrose's new Love Life Malted Seeded white flour, and was really happy with the results.  I had forgotten the salt completely, but I think the maltiness of the flour made up for that.  After about 30 mins in the oven I took the bread out of its tin and  continued to bake it on a baking sheet to crisp up the outside and bottom.  

This is such a great loaf to get me back into baking, the anxiety alone gave me such a rush.  I've filed the recipe away for special occasions...I think it will be amazing along side a huge bowl of homemade soup after a long country walk and I've put half the rolls into the freezer for another day... 

10 comments:

  1. Such a pretty photo. Perfect for lunch with hot soup after a walk in the crisp air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria, your photo is incredible! I just want to yank off a big chunk of it right now. I bet the color is beautiful. I've seen a couple of pumpkin cluster bread recipes and they had the same effect on me. I bet it was great with the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do not....thanks! I was so lucky the sun decided to shine through! yum yum

    Sue...such an easy bread! Try it! something so magical about cluster breads :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great photo... so glad the recipe turned out OK... mine was slightly bland but I imagine the butternut squash was a good substitute... in fact, so inspired was I by your inspiration of me, that I have made another cluster bread, just a plain one this time and will write about it tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spied this on Dom's blog too - looks amazingly scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this fabulous bread there too, and yours looks amazing.....making bread is so elemental,I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Pumpkin bread would go lovely with my Pumpkin soup ... please take a peep on my blog...xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was debating Sainsbury's/Waitrose for a quick shop on my way home from work tomorrow. Waitrose has just won! I was going to try this last weekend (after seeing it on Dom's blog), but low energy levels prevented me, so now we will be eating it on Saturday! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pumpkin anything. This bread came out awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dom...thanks! The sun was kind that day! teehee do I get commission for inspiring? :) I am thinking cluster breads are the way to go in the future...

    Chele...it is soooo good!

    Karen...it surprises me every time!

    Linda...ooooo I will :)

    A Trifle...I really like the new Waitrose flour, will be using it again this weekend I think :)

    From Beyond...I was really surprised with myself! hahaha

    ReplyDelete