Thursday 7 January 2010

Thai heat for a cold day

I've never been to Thailand...I'd love to go someday...but I can definitely say that I absolutely LOVE thai spices, heat, flavours and oodles of noodles!!!

I feel like a bit of a failure in this less-meat thing that David and I are...in theory...making a good go at.  I suppose, though, part of this change is also watching our waste and using up every last bit of what be buy.  So...I also suppose that eating the remains of the roast chicken will take up most of this week....meaning more than one night eating meat. 

Last night I used a good handful of shredded roast chicken to make this 5-minute Thai inspired warm noodle dish (plus the time it takes to boil the kettle). 



I bought a package of thin Thai rice noodles, which are simple to make...just place in a pyrex dish and cover with boiling water for about 5 mins. 

In the meantime in a small saucepan on the stove I warmed 3 Tbsp of dark brown sugar, fish sauce and soya sauce...with the juice of 1 1/2 limes, 1/2 a sliced red chili, 1/2 a small red onion finely chopped, chopped corriander stalks and about 2 spoonfulls of smooth peanut butter. 

After the noodles were cooked and drained I assembled the dish...

Rice Noodles
Grated Carrot
Shredded Roast Chicken
Chopped Corriander
Chopped Spring Onions
Chopped Roasted Salted Peanuts

At the table I poured the sauce over the noodle dish and tossed to combine...I absolutely LOVE corriander and chopped peanuts so I added another handful to my bowl and don't forget about a squeeze of lime over top!

Quick, simple and totally the warm SE Asian escape we needed last night to get away from this cold snap!

3 comments:

  1. We love Thai food and this recipe sure sounds grat for leftover chicken. Gotta get fish sauce.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe looks great and the presentation is super.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita...I have only recently started buying fish sauce...before then i just stuck to curry pastes...but it has now changed my life!

    Moogie...thanks for your comment, as always!

    ReplyDelete