Monday 8 August 2011

Baking Success! Blueberry Muffins...

Following the taste testing of my banana nut loaf last weekend, where I mixed plain flour with brown bread flour, wheat germ and oatmeal, I thought I might try and substitute some brown bread flour and wheat germ to make guilt free muffins over the weekend.  


After the disastrous cornmeal blueberry muffins last month I wasn't entirely confident in my decision to experiment...but I did some research on substituting brown flour and, in the end, just closed my eyes and hoped for the best! 

Not to brag, but these muffins are incredible! They are light, they are moist, they are packed with bursts of blueberries and they rose beautifully.  Success!! 

I am doubly excited because these muffins have another purpose..they are a practice round...I start a new job in a week and will be eating breakfast on the run...well on the bus...muffins and coffee...maybe not the best way to start the morning but it is sounding pretty good to me...especially if it is these muffins! 

My New Favourite Muffins
adapted from the New Canadian Basics cookbook

1 cup white flour
3/4 cup brown bread flour 
1/4 cup wheat germ  

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt 
1TBSP + 1/4 tsp Baking Powder (I read somewhere that brown bread flour needs a little extra ooompf) 

1cup blueberries (next time I'm going to try frozen summer fruits) 

2 eggs 
250ml + splash milk (I read somewhere that when substituting wheat germ add a little extra liquid) 
1/4 cup flavourless oil 

Preheat oven to 200C 
In a large mixing bowl mix together dry ingredients
Add fruit and gently mix
In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients
Add to dry ingredients and gently mix (it is ok if there are some lumps) and be careful not to smoosh berries! 

Fill 12 muffin cups 3/4 way full, bake 20-25 mins until golden. 
Cool...and enjoy! 

9 comments:

  1. These do look like the absolute picture perfect cookbook illustration version of a blueberry muffin. I love the rounded tops---that's what I'm having trouble getting. I think I'm too greedy and add too many berries and fill the muffin tins too full. I'll try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue...I don' t pretend to be an expert but I remember reading somewhere that muffins and cupcakes should only be filled 3/4 of the way to allow for proper rising...not that it always works...a little extra baking powder doesn't seem to help either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always on teh lookout for a recipe that adds goodness to white flour.
    This one looks and sounds really perfect.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victoria, these are superb. I wish I could bake something that looked (and I'm sure tasted) so perfect, I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant success!! Best of luck with the new job too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita...they taste different, in a good way...I am really happy with the result!

    A Trifle Rushed....awwwwww thanks!

    two hippos...thanks! and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look like the perfect blueberry muffin. Blueberry season is is at its peak right now and these muffins are a great way to use them up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh, can I join you for breakfast? Muffins and coffee sure beat my boring branflakes each morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Beyond...I wish I could get to a PYO to get more blueberries...relying on my local greengrocer! BUt...these are the perfect way!

    Kate...thanks for your comments...meet me on the bus, cause that's where I'll be eating my brekkie! :)

    ReplyDelete