Tuesday 21 August 2012

The forgotten jar....Tahini

I have a jar of tahini in my fridge...it is waaaaaaay at the back of the top shelf, behind some curry pastes and tom yum paste and a couple of different mustards....it sits there unused, forgotten.  Every once and a while I remember about it and wrack my brain for ways to use it up.  It was pretty expensive considering I have probably used one tablespoon maximum from it in the last however many months it has been since I bought it.  I don't even remember what I bought it for...it is just there.  

I hadn't planned on using it in last night's Asian inspired supper...but as I was waiting for the water to boil to cook my soba noodles (I know...get me) I spied the recipe on the back of the package for a miso tahini dressing...ah ha! I didn't have miso but I sure had some tahini...and an idea.  


I loved this dinner the moment I started daydreaming about it on the bus...soba noodles tossed in some sort of asian dressing with shavings of a soft cabbage, red endive and spring onions...piled high on a plate and served cool-ish.  The cabbage and endive part came from an Asian slaw my aunt made while I was visiting her...with napa cabbage and radicchio...perfect for mixing with buckwheat noodles.  The dressing was the component with the most potential of letting me down...the part that would either bring it all together or have me ordering a pizza.  

Brown sugar, soya sauce, lime, oil, tahini and a pressed garlic clove...easy. 



3 comments:

  1. I love it! I never think of using my tahini for anything other than hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks scrumptious .... and healthy....

    mummi-ji
    x0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete