Monday 25 October 2010

Chocolate Pots...to bake or not to bake?

On Friday I thought that I wouild do something special to celebrate the end of the week, and there is nothing better than a cool, creamy chocolate pot (oh ok....there is cake and cookies and custard and all sorts of yummy things, but a chocolate pot is pretty high up). 

I've attempted pots de creme before...way back in March I topped off a romantic meal with these delicious chocolate pots.  They were baked and then cooled, really tastey and totally romantic.  This week I just wasn't quite sure I wanted to turn the oven on to bake two small-ish pots...

Awhile ago I discovered a recipe for pots de creme on the outside wrapper of a bar of Green & Blacks chocolate, which called for cooking the custard over a simmering pot of water...so I thought I would give it a go, substituting milk chocolate for the dark chocolate since that's what David prefers...

I rarely share recipes, prefering to inspire, but for Dom over at Belleau Kitchen...I have included this one!


Two Chocolate Pots 

200ml single cream 
1 tsp vanilla 
50g milk chocolate broken into pieces 
3 egg yolks 
1 tbsp sugar 
1/4 tsp salt 
Melt chocolate in heat proof bowl suspended over a saucepan on barely simmering water
meanwhile gently heat cream with vanilla
let both cool slightly 
beat egg yolks into chocolate mixture until smooth 
stir in sugar and salt 
gently stir cream into chocolate mixture 
place bowl back over simmering water 
cook until mixture coats back of wooden spoon (stirring all the time) 

2 comments: