Sunday 11 March 2012

2 easy weekday meals...that I ate on the weekend!

I don't know why I do this...all the time...plan out my meals without really reading the recipes and end up slotting in super easy dishes on the weekend (when I've got the time to chop, stir, braise, rest...). 

This weekend I tried my hand at two new dishes: Prawn Tom Yum Soup, and Corn Fritters (not together, of course).  Both recipes came from the speedy supper section of some magazine, and now that I think about it the clue that they were speedy was right there on the page...staring at me...but of course I only noticed that when I actually dug the recipe out and got organised, oops! 


This Prawn Tom Yum Soup was so simple to make/adapt.  I rammed it full of veggies, noodles and prawns to make it a substantial meal...which took me back to the awesome Tamarind Broth rustled up by Tony Singh at the event I went to on Monday.  Not that I am comparing my thai broth to his, it was more the spice, noodles, ginger and meaty prawns that I was comparing.  So...how is this for simple...boil a litre of chicken stock, stir in 2 tbsp of tom yum paste and then chuck in your veg (sliced green beans, frozen peas, frozen corn, sliced ginger) and simmer until tender, then in with rice noodles and cleaned prawns (I used cooked prawns cause they were on sale) simmer until prawns are cooked...serve up and devour! 


The corn fritters took a bit more preparation...grating 2 medium potatoes and then squeezing the water out of them...but other than that you mix the potatoes with a cup of thawed frozen corn, a chopped red chilli, 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, tbps flour, handful chopped coriander, and an beaten medium egg.  All you have to do is pan fry spoonfuls of the mixture in a little veggie oil until brown on each side! We ate them with a green salad and some sweet chilli sauce.  

Easy Peasy

3 comments:

  1. ooh, that Tom Yum is divine!... I love all those spices, it just feels like you could live on it for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound splendid, I'd be happy with them weekday or weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, love this Tom Yum Soup recipe! Look forward to trying it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete