Wednesday 28 March 2012

Wholewheat moving in...

For those of you keeping tabs, I haven't posted about my Sourdough adventures in a while...but I promise something is coming soon.  Things have been a bit too busy for the sloooooow sourdough recently.  For now, though, I have put poor Morag at the back of the fridge to sleep.  

This weekend (and tonight) I turned my kneading hands to wholewheat bread.  I've been nervous about mixing my flours, I am not convinced I've entirely "got" bread making yet...but I've been practicing a lot and trying different recipes so I thought...why not!? 


Dan Lepard's Wholewheat recipe in Short & Sweet is for a proper 100% wholewheat loaf...I wasn't exactly ready to attempt that monster.  I say monster only because I have read about the heartaches of baking wholewheat loaves...loaves that come out of the oven like bricks...I didn't think I was emotionally strong enough to cope with that.  So, instead I took advice and adapted my regular white loaf.  I substituted 1/4 white flour with wholewheat and upped the yeast to 1-1/2 tsp.  I also needed about 70ml more water.  

I am really happy with the result.  I know I say this a lot...but it constantly amazes me how wonderful my bread tastes, and feels and looks.  I haven't bought a loaf from the supermarket in months...and I really don't want to.  

1 comment: