Wednesday 2 May 2012

Cardamom Buns..a scandinavian experimental treat

My obsession with all things scandi have reached the inspiration level. Up until now I have been closely following any recipes I can get my hot little hands on....rye breads, almond cakes, beetroot salads...but yesterday I did something radical and totally out of character...I improvised.  

Right, it isn't like I've never improvised before...I work with children...I improvise hourly...but in my baking? I just have never really felt that comfortable going off piste.  I am going to attribute my new found bravery to the infectious enthusiasm I encountered at the Breadshare Bakery over the weekend.  That and some fabulously inspirational research I sampled there and at Peter's Yard Cafe.  

Inspirational Bun #1

Cardamom Almond Roll from Breadshare


Inspirational Bun #2

Cardamom Bun from Peter's Yard Cafe 


I managed to snaffle these two pretty awesome and totally different cardamom buns over the weekend and just had to try my hands at my own version.  For me there is something warming about cardamom. To me it just screams "out of the ordinary".  I've had a jar of cardamom pods in my cupboard for a while, I can't remember why I bought them originally, so when I decided to embark on my own version of cardamom buns there was no room for excuses. 

Cardamom Bun Trial #1


I did some research and decided to use a basic enriched sweet bread dough recipe and added 1 tsp of ground cardamom.  After the dough rested and rose I divided it into 8 portions, rolled those out into snakes and then twisted them up, rested them again for 20 mins and then gave them a milk glaze with a sprinkling of sugar.  They baked slightly too long but tasted amazing straight from the oven.  

For now...back to the drawing board (stuffing my face all the way) 


3 comments:

  1. I bet your kitchen smelled pretty great while these were baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your Scandi baking experiment...If you didn't have to bin them --- then it was a success...can't wait to read what happens during Bun Trial #2....

    mummi-ji
    x0

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful to me. I always watch the Scandinavian cook on PBS.

    ReplyDelete