Friday 18 May 2012

Towering Tray Bakes...an evening with the Edinburgh Cake Ladies

On Wednesday evening 20 excited Edinburgh Cake Ladies descended on one of our most favourite cafes in city, Bon Papillon.  

My second favourite man at Bon Papillon

While we are known as the CAKE Ladies, we have recently been enjoying other bakes...tarts in March and now tray bakes! 


The evening was hosted by the dynamic duo Alison and Michelle, and everything was "like totes perf". Tower after tower of tray bakes piled as high as the eye can see...I didn't know where to start.

First plate of samples

After 2 laps around the table to make my mind up I started with Parkin, Coffee Walnut, Banana Blondie, Maltesers Slice and a Pavlova...it took me a while to make my way through these five "bite sized" cakes.  


In true cake ladies fashion everything ran with a sort-of cakey-military precision...enter, meet, display, photograph, chat, wait, dive in, devour.  I spent the evening chatting to some first timers, including Claire who is setting up a bake club up Fife way, and before we knew it...it was 8:30.  Luckily our fabulous hosts were in no rush to kick us out so we took our time packaging up the leftovers and making plans for future social occasions.  

Sadly, for one Cake Lady it was her last meeting...she is moving back to Canada.  It was in her honour that I made my tray bake...


Canadian Nanaimo Bars from the aptly named New Canadian Basics Cookbook.  These are one of my favourite treats to make to take to a party.  They are really easy (no-bake) and I get to say things like "they are a Canadian delicacy" to everyone who drools over them.  

Yet another lovely eating with the loveliest ladies I know. 

5 comments:

  1. It was indeed a great evening. Those Malteser tray bakes look amazing! Oh, that's right, they were my ones ;) #totesperfectotremazingballs

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just looks perfect, what a fabulous evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a nanaimo - they are SO naughty. As I looked at your collage of photos above I was thinking "I wonder did anyone make a tray of nanaimos?" because that's definitely what I would've picked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard to read about these gatherings from so far away...The coffee walnut one sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was indeed a lovely cake eating evening .

    ReplyDelete