Saturday 19 May 2012

A Sweet Potato Kind of Day

The weather up here has been horrible, it has been cold and wet and windy and on the few recent days the sun has come out...it has still rained.  I am wearing my winter clothes for the most part and have just realised that the heating bill will definitely be eating into my social money this month.

On the way home from work yesterday I mentally zipped through my meal planner to determine what would be perfect for a Friday night dinner in front of the tv, wrapped up in a number of blankets.  On a Friday we usually make a pizza and settle in for the night, but this week the pizza has been reserved for the big football match Saturday night...so something else needed to jump to the rescue.

Sweet Potato Cakes.


Yotam Ottolenghi's Sweet Potato Cakes are delicious, filling and comforting. Think about it, soft sweet sweet potato mashed up with chili and green onion and then pan fried in blobs until crispy on the outside. A plate piled high with these orange fritters, tangy greek yoghurt herb sauce, a big salad and some fresh homemade flatbreads just screams "it's the weekend" to me.  

The recipe says to steam the sweet potato in large chunks.  I don't have a steamer and I did my best to steam them in about a cm of water in a saucepan...but next time I think I would bake them in their skins in the oven and then scoop out the flesh still leaving it a little bit chunky.  

2 comments:

  1. Baking them sounds like a better idea. They look great. You have now reminded me to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. But as a fellow Edinburgher I must say today you'll need to try one of his salads! Sun is finally here - woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete