Tuesday 8 May 2012

lovely little madeleines


After sampling a lovely petite violet madeleine at lovecrumbs on Saturday I fell asleep day dreaming of platters piled high with different flavours of these dainty little cakes. (I am not going to get into the cake/cookie debate here...to me they are cakes for no other reason than they get hard as they go stale.) Apologies for the digression...recently I seem to have drifted away from making small cakes in favour of something more substantial, but there is something about these shell shaped delights that brings a smile to my face.  

To (almost) instantly satisfy my craving I whipped up a batch of lemon almond madeleines using a basic recipe my mum sent me when I bought my madeleine tin a few years ago.  


Madeleines really are a doddle, especially if you have a stand mixer.  The toughest bit is waiting patiently for the eggs to whisk up and triple in volume.  My transcribed recipe does not mention letting the batter rest (my fault, I probs copied it off from an email instead of printing it off) which meant that the first batch didn't produce the characteristic bump on the top side of the madeleine...the second batch did since the batter rested for about 25 mins.  Bump or no bump they tasted great.  

Up next...cardamom madeleines, pistachio madeleines and possibly something with ginger...watch this space!

8 comments:

  1. they look adorable!... i've never made Madeleines, I must get me a mould... so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh - I think I could wolf that whole plate... for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look just perfect! & Delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look perfect... & delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious! I agree that they're a cake as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help thinking how lucky your hubby is to have such a good cook as you are. Such mouth watering Madeleines.....xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! I can imagine them with a cup of tea, or dipped in chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous feast of Madeleines (my favourite!) you have planned to bake- if you need a tester (*waves hand wildly*)

    ReplyDelete