Tuesday 29 May 2012

Cardamom Twists...my fancy piece

A few weeks ago I wrote about my experimental baking afternoon trying to emulate two very different cardamom buns.  The buns I produced weren't great, they were alright...but nowhere near as good as they could have been.  Since then I have immersed myself in all things dedicated to the Scandi trend.  I've found some pretty awesome food blogs and of course I have been deeply engulfed in the latest Scandinavian dramas aired on the Beeb (first the Bridge and now Sebastian Bergman) and have just polished off two Wallander crime novels...

This past weekend, in preparation for the Eurovision Song Contest I decided to roll up my sleeves and get down to Cardamom Bun business.  Since my previous attempt I have been researching (more carefully) recipes and methods and decided to use a recipe on the gorgeous Scandilicious Blog.  I vowed not to alter the recipe, I promised to just stick to the method, I tried my best...


You prepare the dough the night before and leave it to cold ferment overnight in the fridge.  I am a little bit nervous about cold fermentation, only because you just have to trust that something somewhere is going to react with something else and that everything will be hunky dory when you take the dough out of the fridge the next morning.  To be honest there wasn't any noticeable difference in the dough, it might have gotten a bit larger but for the most part it looked the same...but cold and hard.  After an hour out of the fridge coming to room temperature I still wasn't feeling confident, but I kept plugging away...rolling the dough out into a rectangle (read oval) and then slathering it with a sugary cardamom butter spread...

And then I improvised...I couldn't help myself.  I hadn't been able to roll the dough out into a rectangle. No matter what I did it just was too round.  So...after slathering it with the sugary butter I folded the dough up into a rectangle and then rolled it out again and then cut it into strips and twisted. 


They turned out pretty well I think. 

2 comments:

  1. You're on a roll (no pun intended) with great recipes Victoria! One of my all time favorites is cardamom coffee cake, so I will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look amazing!

    We loved The Bridge too - cracking TV.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete