Friday 29 July 2011

coffee and scones...at home!

As I wandered around town yesterday looking in the windows of different cafes, counting my pennies in my pocket, my mind turned to the half container of buttermilk in my fridge (from the disastrous cornmeal blueberry muffins).  I need to use that up...why pay for a scone and a cup of coffee when I can make some at home??

So home I went...evaluated the supplies in the kitchen and got down to the task of finding a recipe.  My standby scone recipe from Canadian Basics called for one egg...I had no eggs...so on to the next recipe for Classic Scones  from delicious magazine a few months ago.  It is WI approved so I had to give it a try!


Looking at the ingredient list I couldn't help but feel a bit dubious...there were only 3 ingredients...self raising flour, butter and milk...no sugar, no egg...the proof is in the pudding, or so they say.  So I followed the recipe (substituting buttermilk for whole milk) and the results were great! Light, moist, tasty.

Best scones in Edinburgh?...I don't know.
Best coffee?...definitely not.  

14 comments:

  1. I love the idea that there are only three ingredients! I give way too much money to the bakeries around here...I'm aiming to find the perfect scone and muffin recipes so I'll never have to be at their mercy again. I'll definitely try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. best value for an empty change purse??
    absolutely YES!

    mummi-ji
    x0

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't beat a good scone! Did you hear womans hour this morning? Scone season must be in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds simple and delicious! Just think of the money you saved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never put sugar or eggs in scones, why would you. And I always use buttermilk, i'm convinced it makes them fluffier. Yours sound Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All this lovely food!!!! I can't help feeling how you manage your weight.......xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely scone recipe... i may be stealing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue...I know! Only 3! I'd say these are pretty good scones...as for muffins...I've got a couple up my sleeve :) recipes that is...

    Mummi-ji...yes yes...you are right!

    Freerangegirl...No! I missed it..I'll have to relisten this weekend! Isn't it always scone season?

    OBaCS...I know! and...now I can eat them for DAYS!

    A Trifle...I've stuck to the same recipe for years (you know...if it ain't broke)...I didn't realise that no sugar and no eggs equalled heaven! I'll be sticking to buttermilk I think...I'm really happy with this result!

    L...walking up and down the many hilled streets of Edinburgh is helping in the weight department!

    Dom...I know you've been on the hunt of the perfect scone...these are pretty damn good! Even after a couple of days in the tin they are fresh tasting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm yummy, you have inspired me, I think I'll make some scones this week too. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOw to be....I'm sure your's will be a work of art... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love a good scone recipe and these do sound very light. I have some buttermilk inmy fride too. I purchased two tubs, one got used for the chocolate and cola cake, the other still waiting...who knows could be scones.

    Hope the sun is shining on the east coast, it sure is on the west.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shaheen...oh that chocolate cake looked incredible (lucky nephew)!! sun is out and warm!! finally!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I increasingly feel like that - why pay inflated prices for something that won't be as good as you can make at home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. CC...i shell out so much of the money I really don't have for coffee and baked goods....i need to open my own shop really... :)

    ReplyDelete