Sunday 31 July 2011

Homemade Naan

I've been really bad about baking bread since we moved to Edinburgh...I am not sure why, it isn't like I haven't had the time...I just haven't been doing it.  I am trying to get focused and get motivated and have been looking at soda bread recipes, multi grain recipes, baking with rye flour...different things to get me going again.  To ease myself back into it (like it is so hard....) I made this easy Naan recipe on Friday night to help streeeeetch our left over curry.


I was actually really pleased with myself.  These Naan were puffy, had a good texture and tasted pretty close to the real thing (except that the bottom wasn't as nicely toasted as the top...maybe a quick flip over next time).  The dough was tough when I was kneading it, and I wasn't really convinced that it was going to rise at all...but sure enough after 15 mins resting it had risen a bit and was soft when I poked it.  Divided into 4 pieces, it rolled out surprisingly well.  I topped these Naan with nigella, black mustard and cumin seeds and then brushed them with a little oil once they had baked.  Easy Peasy...and oh so tasty!

6 comments:

  1. I've been getting into curry ever since posting about Madhur Jaffrey, so I'll have to try this. I've got an irrational fear of making bread, maybe this would ease me into it. I love the seeds sprinkled on top...looks very professional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Naan bread looks great. I do make bread, but in a bread maker now as its a lot easier than by hand......xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh - what a good idea! I love making bread, but I always stick to the basic White loaf- these look so much nicer than the soggy moccasins that come with our takeaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue...this was so easy!

    L...When I make loaves I use my stand mixer and mix and knead the dough...so I rarely do anything "by hand"...siiigh a bread maker would be nice.....

    freerangegirl...im trying to get back into making loaves...but this was a really easy recipe and quick (great for kids too i imagine!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your naan bread looks so pretty! Mine are always hideously mis-shapen haha. Might try the BBC recipe instead of the one I've been using.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katey...i sort of patted it into a teardrop shape before rolling it out and they managed to pretty much stay! :)

    ReplyDelete