Thursday 21 July 2011

Veggies Veggies Veggies (and a bit of cake!)

Yesterday was all about the veggies...well...anything not sweet.  I think I actually had a headache from sugar withdraw!! I only managed four small slices at the Cake Club but that was enough to totally crash my system...amazing! 

I turned to the trusty For the Love of Food and greedily flipped through the salad pages to find something...anything...that would restore balance to my body (and prepare me for a cake treat in the evening...yes I managed to hold off until then!).  The weather somewhat forced my hand (cold, wet, dreary) to choose Denis Cotter's Warm Broccoli, Aubergine and Chickpea Salad.


Like most of the recipes in this book the ingredient list is exhaustive, and I used pretty much every pot and pan in my cupboard...but the finished product was...as always...amazing!

The aubergine is roasted in the oven until soft (and crispy?), the broccoli is steamed, and the chickpeas are warmed through with garlic, chilli and cumin seeds...this is all tossed together with bulgur, spring onions and chopped tomatoes and then dressed with a yummy lemon yoghurt dressing.

My favourite bit was the addition of toasted sunflower seeds coated with soy sauce...amazing in this salad and a new "trick" to add to my repertoire.

DO NOT FEAR Cake Eaters...we enjoyed two largish portions of left over devil's food cake last night! Enough to return me to a sugar coma...

8 comments:

  1. xxx to your sugar coma xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This salad is so unusual. It's nice to discover something different in the food world. I hadn't heard of Dennis Cotter, so I looked him up, his take on vegetarian food sounds interesting. This salad sounds like the perfect antidote to all that lovely cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious, even if took every pan in our cupboard to make! LOL!!

    If you need more sugar, stop by for some of my dessert! You'll enjoy it!

    Have a great week!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to have to buy the Denis Cotter book, this certainly looks Fab. I'm glad you managed some cake! Jude x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely veggie salad. I must try it.... I make a bulgar wheat salad using sring onions,sunflower seed,pine nuts and a large red pepper......xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow you are one dedicated salad maker. haha salads for me are usually quick tosses. all that effort to roast eggplants etc, hah really inspiring! the sunflower seeds sound like a great idea. i usually sprinkle roasted sesame seeds/crushed peanuts, love the nutty aroma and crunch when you add seeds/nuts to salads or vegetables.

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/05/simplified-nonya-achar-peranakan-spicy.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cherry...thanks xxx

    Sue...I love going to delis to see all the different salads on offer...but rarely manage to make anything more than a lettuce salad at home...this recipe is a prefect meal, or accompaniment! I am really loving Cotter's book. :)

    Mary...Although I feel full of sugar...I always have room for more ;)

    A Trifle Rushed...if you do buy it, let me know how you get on with it...I haven't been disappointed! It seems there is always room for cake :)

    L...ohhh i like the sound of your salad...i'm starting to warm to bulgar :)

    Shu Han...the nuts were the key i think...and next time I would skip the eggplant I think...maybe use peppers instead? or courgettes? or grated carrot maybe...

    Jacqueline...thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete